It is not easy avoiding bugs especially at this time of year, most winter viruses are airborne so it does not take much to pick up a cold but there are a few tips to help fend off those pesky germs!
- Make sure babies vaccinations are up-to date
- Wash yours and babies hands often to stop germs spreading.
- Scientists have recently discovered that cold noses and feet can actually lower our defenses so wrap baby up warm,
- If baby is on solid foods then include as much fresh fruit and vegetables into their diet as possible.
- Make sure baby is hydrated.
- Opening windows for a short while in the day can help to circulate fresh air around the house.
- Central heating can cause stuffy noses so only turn it on when you need to, try and keep babies room temperature between 16 and 20 degrees C.
We have a few tips to make sure that taking your baby swimming does not result in picking up a winter nasty!
- Ear infections don’t just cause earache they can also lead to a high temperature, poor appetite and restlessness at night-time. Swimming can be responsible for outer ear infections but this can be prevented by ensuring your baby’s ear canal is dry after a swim, you can do this by allowing the ear canal to drain naturally by tipping baby’s head gently to one side and then the other until you see the water drain away – then dry the ears with a towel, avoid poking anything into the ear such as cotton buds.
- Ensure the swimming pool you visit has clean water, most pools are regulated and Aquatots ensures that the correct health and safety checks have been carried out and that the water is tested regularly at all the pools we use. Private pools and ones abroad however may not be regulated and may cause you and baby to be ill!
- Aquatots sells Aqua bands in our online shop. These neoprene bands sit snugly to baby’s head to keep the water out, and they also come with earplugs for extra protection. We recommend these if your child is susceptible to ear infections. AQUA BANDS
- Hooded towels are ideal for baby after getting out of the pool, the air temperature outside of the pool may feel a little chilly especially after getting out of a hydro pool.
- Ensure baby is wrapped up warmly before leaving the swimming pool, dry their hair and pop on a hat before heading out into the cold.